According to Microsoft:
Excel Interactive View is a new technology, powered by Excel Services, that generates Excel table and chart views on-the-fly, in the browser, from an HTML table hosted on a web page.
By using Excel Interactive View (EIV) in SharePoint we can change the way that a table is presented.
From a regular table, using EIV we can convert it into a smart table, that can do different operations:
- Add charts;
More than that, this technology can be used in WordPress.
The Excel Mashup team has created a plugin for WordPress.
Here is a page where the EIV plugin is used: EIV
Of course, you can use the embed code, if you don’t wanna use the plugin.
Note: The Romanian version of this article is posted here: Cum creăm tabele inteligente în SharePoint Online 2013?
How do we add EIV into SharePoint?
- on the Excel Mashup website generate your code;
- in SharePoint go into Edit Mode;
- from the Insert tab choose to insert a Content Editor web part;
- go into Edit mode for the web part and the click inside the web part;
- create you table as you wish;
- from the Format Text tab click on Edit Source;
- copy the code generated on the Excel Mashup website – code from Step 1;
- paste the code above the table tag
- copy the code generated on the Excel Mashup website – code from Step 2;
- paste the code above the closing body tag;
Note: because the SharePoint website uses https, you must change the second code.
Change only the source part: from http to https.
If you will not change it, every time the page loads, a security pop-up message will be displayed.
Now, save the changes.
As seen above, the EIV button is displayed above the table.
If you click that button, the magic happens.
You can choose to open the workbook using Excel Web App to see what happens behind the scenes.
The workbook contains Slicers, a table and charts. All those elements combined gives us the Excel Interactive View technology.
Note: if you won’t use a web part, the second code will be removed, once you validate the changes.